The recipes on this site are intended to give you ideas on how easy it is to feed your dog fresh food. If you would like a diet/s prescribed for long term balanced use please contact me to discuss further.
Onions contain sulfixides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs.
Grapes & Raisins-ﾠGrapes, raisins and currants Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.
Chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems.
Grapes & Raisins
Alcohol - can cause intoxication/to be 'drunk' coma and liver issues
Macadamia nuts -ﾠContain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems. Can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.
Xylitol (Sugar free gum)
Xylitol (Sugar free gum) Xylitol (artificial sweetener)ﾠCan cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.
Caffeine - theobromine, or
theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and
Nutmeg is a spice used to flavor various sweet and savory dishes and is made from the hard seed of Myristica fragrans, a tropical evergreen.
Rhubarb Leaves -
Contain oxalates, which
can affect the digestive, nervous,
and urinary systems.
Tobacco -ﾠContains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
Raw Hide (Bleached) - the reason the raw hide is white is it has been bleached, it's actually indigestible. It's the skin of an animal, it takes a very long time to fully digest and can cause serious blockages.
at around 250
degrees, basically killing all the goodness that may or may not have been there in the first place! Then powdered processed vitamins are added & then it's sprayed with mixed fats to make it palatable to dogs.ﾠIt can be kept for around 10/12 months once opened & will not spoil beyond that.
Iron -Human vitamin supplements containing iron can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
APPLE PIPS - Almond, Apricot, Peach, Cherry, Plum, Pear, Prunes & similar fruit
The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans causing diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves).
Snails & Slugs
Snails & Slugs - Can cause vomiting and diarrhea and Lung worm
Hops -ﾠUnknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
Can depress the nervous
system, cause vomiting,
and changes in the heart rate.
Baby Food - Can contain onion
powder which can be toxic to dogs
Bread dough -
expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible
rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Salt -ﾠIf eaten in large quantities it
may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
Cooked Bones - All cooked bones have the
potential to splinter and cause obstruction
is all cooked
& duck etc.
All uncooked bones are actually soft or soft enough for a dog to chomp through and digest. However please look into what bones are correct for the size of dog that you have. My rule of thumb with Toy breed dogs is 'the bigger the better'.
HOW MUCH WOULD DOGGY HAVE TO EAT TO BECOME SERIOUSLY ILL
With ALL of these foods a tiny amount can cause serious upset or illness if your dog is the 'unlucky one' who happens to have a severe reaction to that particular food/ingredient. Similar to humans, we don't know if we will be the 'unlucky' one who has a severe reaction to a bee sting or nuts causing anaphylactic shock & if not treated sudden death.
Most humans are not screened for such things, however often only finding out the horror of that you are reactive after a serious event has occurred. It's the same in Canines.
However something to note, the amount of cyanide in an apple pip or 5 apple pips is absolutely minuscule and you are probably doing more harm to your dog by spraying air fresheners/deodorants CFCs into the air next to your dog or worse still feeding kibble than 5 apple pips would cause.
My dogs have eaten onions, pips, avocado, chocolate 95% Cacao, xylitol, nutmeg, salt, caffeine, grapes & currants. They are all here to tell the tail (sorry couldn't resist) and with no ill effects. It's up to you to determine what kind of reaction your dog is having & call the Vet.
As far as I'm concerned I feel the more 'varied' a diet your dog is having & particularly from an early age the more tolerant of strange/new foods and therefore a lesser reaction than a dog that's eaten the same kibble for 4 years without change.
I often hear "oh my dog can't eat that it gives him diarrhea" that's because the diet has not been varied enough from day one. Practice caution, but don't panic if your dog eats 5 Maltesers..... UK chocolate has hardly any cacao in it any way... mainly fat and sugar.
These items could innocently be in your handbag or a visitors handbag. Please make a rule for yourself, your children's school bags & visitors that all bags go in a safe place in your home, up & away from the reach of your dog.
These items are dangerous
Birth control pills
These items MAY BE dangerous:
specializing in home cooking for your dog
Queeniechi Says CooK
Queeniechi Says CooK